After my previous modifications resulted in a slow spear that kept maiming and releasing fish, I went back to the shop and made it better.
To increase the speed, I ordered a 1/2-inch diameter band, but that turned out to be so stiff that I could barely stretch it, and if I did it bent the spear, so, that didn’t work.
This actually worked quite nicely. I had effectively doubled the power without making it too difficult to stretch.
Now to solve the problem of the fish wiggling off the spear.
I wanted to add barbs to the spear tips, so my first thought was to use a file. After looking at my file assortment, I realized that this would remove too much metal, and the barbs would really just be notches, they wouldn’t extend beyond the diameter of the tip, so I’m not sure how effective the would be.
Done, and Done.
I went out to test it later that evening.
I didn’t see many fish for a long time, which is always a limiting factor in these tests.
But then, as the sun was going down, I saw a decent sized black perch and squeezed the trigger.
The extra power made all the difference and the fish never knew what hit it… because it’s a fish.
The barbs were probably unnecessary in this case, since the polespear nearly blasted straight through the cute little fishy, but they certainly made the fish more difficult to remove from the spear, so I consider them a success as well.
Too bad I don’t like the taste of perch.
I gave the fish to the cats on the jetty and went home with a puffed chest and a bounce in my step.
I’m beginning to think of this design as a poor man’s speargun.
I like it. It’s simple and effective.
But now it has me thinking of other ways to make a cheap speargun…